- Cost-benefit analysis and modelling in the beverage container deposit field.
- Economic evaluation of increased autonomy, scope of role of a group of professionals through a benefit-cost analysis, testimony in parliamentary commitee.
- Survey of international subsidiaries: characteristics, economic impact, structural contribution and economic health.
- Economic analysis of skilled labour shortages, report and expert testimony.
- Analysis of the economic impacts of increased investment in Quebec’s cultural industries.
- Quantification of an organization’s reputation value.
- Evaluation of economic damages suffered by individuals or businesses following various disruptive events, expert reports.
- Statistical analysis of wage and salary trends for workers in an industry.
- Evaluation of the economic impact of environmental innovation in an industry.
- Assessment of external market obsolescence (“economic obsolescence”) observed in an industry, report and expert testimony.
- Analysis of the physical condition and investment needs of a network of institutional buildings.
- Calculation of economic spin-offs in Quebec (GDP, employment, tax revenues) of an industry.
- Impact analysis of regulatory changes affecting a group of retailers. Calculation of impacts on sales, employment, GDP and tax revenues.
AppEco offers first-class applied economics services. Our experts produce economic and strategic analyses that inform decision-making and facilitate the implementation of your projects.
Here is a representative sample of the Studies & Mandates carried out for the benefit of our clients.
I wish to help AppEco’s clients take strategic decisions based on sound data and contribute to the success of their projects through efficient communication.
MSc, LLM, LLB, Lawyer and Vice-President
- Evaluation of the clinical and economic consequences of the generic substitution of five drugs in the United States.
- Analysis of the economic and budgetary impacts of generic substitution of one drug in four European countries.
- Evaluation of the clinical and economic impacts of multiple-generic substitution of an anti-epileptic drug.
- Organizational and economic analysis of drug price control measures and expenditures in Quebec.
- Portrait of the characteristics and economic contribution of private companies offering health and social services in Quebec.
- Pricing: development of various pricing tools and their financial impact: pricing process; relationship between prices; market access and financial impact; econometric analysis of prices; contracts between manufacturers and payers, etc.
- Evaluation of the direct and indirect costs of regulatory delays in approving drug reimbursement by payers.
- Time-and-motion study of the non-medical costs of treatment in a specialized oncology centre.
- Cost-effectiveness study, budget impact analysis and social impact analysis for a smoking cessation drug.
- Macroeconomic projection of future drug use and costs in various Canadian provinces under various scenarios.
- Impact analysis of a treatment / drug on a population’s health and healthcare costs in Canada, using a multi-state life-table model
- Economic analysis services (economic and financial analysis, drafting of briefs, Quebec Budget) in support of a large industry association.
- Analysis of the impact of thede minimis threshold on the cost of foreign purchases and on tax and customs tariff revenues, presentation at a press conference.
- Brief on the economic situation of the arts and culture sector and the ways to promote its development.
- In collaboration with MIT, calculation of potential savings for Quebec through the optimisation of different types of road surfacing.
- Economic facts and issues related to minimum wage for human resources managers.
- In-depth portrait of current and prospective economic activity in the hydrocarbon industry.
- Study on the contribution of natural resources to Quebec’s prosperity.
- Characteristics and evolution of a pool of professionals in comparison with members in good standing of a professional order.
- Expert reports presented at hearings held by the Régie de l’énergie du Québec.
- Impact evaluation of an e-commerce training program in the retail industry.
- Economic status of the regulatory process for determining the price of imported books.
- Economic analysis of the financing of a charitable organisation through a “half and half” lottery.
- Analysis of the economic contribution of the Canadian Red Cross during the Fort McMurray fires.
- Analysis of the educational and economic contribution of private education institutions in Quebec.
- Analysis of the fiscal and social profitability of services promoting employability.
- Analysis of the economic impact of immigration programs.
The work of the entire AppEco team has produced an in-depth study demonstrating the positive impact of virtual health for patients, employers and governments across Canada. The collaboration with AppEco was always efficient, simple and pleasant. In addition, their team members were constantly available for various meetings with government stakeholders and went beyond expectations. Special thanks to Richard, Cristina and Julien.
Pierre Emmanuel Paradis is capable of combining very rigorous economic analysis with a strategic understanding of the more general context, with particular regard to public policy. In my experience, few consultants can combine these two aspects as well as he can.
The Federation has sought the services of AppEco for several years and will continue to do so in the future. Their clear and rigorous analyses are crucial in advancing our files with public decision-makers.
AppEco has collaborated with the CPQ on several occasions, including during a study on natural resources in Quebec as part of the CPQ’s Prosperity Campaign. Their work demonstrated great capacity for analysis and synthesis, as well as in-depth knowledge of the data.
Pierre Emmanuel developed realistic and evolving budget scenarios over 5 years, as well as an analysis of the economic impact of 211. His insight and rigor were essential when presenting the 211 model to decision-makers in Greater Montreal municipalities.
Pierre Emmanuel mastered how to explain the effects of the socio-economic climate on the operations of a courthouse. Thanks to his analytical skills and talent, everyone was able to see the issues clearly.
In 2017, Pierre Emmanuel carried out an analysis on the economic value of financial planning. The study demonstrated the contribution of financial planners on the financial health of Quebecers. These results have positively influenced both our strategic decisions and awareness campaigns.
AQTIS, which represents more than 6,000 members, has mandated AppEco several times in order to:
• Assess the current economic situation of arts and culture in Quebec and to propose measures aimed at stimulating local cultural production;
• Carry out an analysis of the economic and fiscal impacts of a sustainable and permanent development of Quebec culture;
• Compare the evolution of AQTIS member compensation with that of the rest of the economy since 2013 and assess the impact of a salary adjustment.
These studies have enabled us to put forward bold and credible proposals, including raising public spending on culture to 2% of the provincial budget, and to justify the request of raising the salaries of our members in negotiations.
AppEco has repeatedly demonstrated that they are great listeners that produce consistent and conscientious work. I have no hesitation recommending AppEco.
I had the opportunity to lean on AppEco’s expertise for various urban planning and economic impact mandates. The firm knew how to respond perfectly to expectations and supported the principles of strategic location in a strong and objective manner by considering the municipal regulatory environment and the challenges of urban development.
As part of my former duties at the Canadian Cement Association (CCA), we used AppEco’s services to conduct an independent economic analysis on the potential impact of concrete pavement on the Quebec highway network. The analysis led to a collaboration with researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and has become a benchmark study in the application of the latest methods in Life-Cycle Cost Analysis (LCCA). Following the completion of the study, several meetings with decision-makers were held. Specific passages of the AppEco report, deemed credible by political organizations throughout Quebec, were even included in electoral platforms for the 2018 provincial election. If I had to do an economic study again, I would contact AppEco without hesitation. Rigor, professionalism and the human side are three competencies I consider essential and they just so happen to be an integral part of AppEco’s approach. A great team that does a great job!
AppEco has conducted two economic studies on the economic benefits for Quebec of oil sands exploitation and the positive contribution of environmental innovation in Canada’s oil sands. Their work has been impeccable and extremely revealing. These were the first studies of their kind in Quebec.
It is a real pleasure to collaborate with Pierre Emmanuel and I highly recommend his services. He is readily available, listens to his clients and delivers extraordinary work.
I had the opportunity to observe the significant quality of Pierre Emmanuel’s work during the preparation of an expert report on labor shortage in the context of pay equity. He understood the issues and their complexity very well by mastering the concept perfectly and by explaining clearly the effects of a shortage and how it can be scientifically and concretely measured. His work was convincing, as it was accompanied by several illustrative examples and elaborate analyses that were easily understandable.
The analyses produced by AppEco are powerful strategic tools. The team is fully engaged in their mandates, which leads them to truly understand their scope. They have proven to be an invaluable resource.
We have used AppEco to conduct a regulatory burden assessment, as per governmental standards in order to demonstrate the impacts, inter alia economical, of a potential regulatory change. We were truly satisfied by the rigorous analysis, the clarity of its presentation to governmental stakeholders and Pierre Emmanuel’s availability.
We have had the pleasure of collaborating with AppEco, recommended to us, to conduct a complex sectoral analysis requiring economics expertise. We were totally satisfied with Pierre Emmanuel’s excellent, thorough and detailed study provided to us within a very short timeframe. We will not hesitate to call upon Pierre Emmanuel’s services for our future needs.